RE: Testing Understanding of Architectural Principles

Uhh, why not take this up on rest-discuss@yahoo.com or somewhere?  I'm happy
to get clarifications on what REST has to say about Web services for our
document, but not interested in having this list's bandwidth devoted to an
exegsis of REST itself.

Also, the current document implies that the RESTful web is a particular
instance of an SOA that provides the service of GETing, PUTing, POSTing, and
DELETEing representations of resources identified by a URI.  I don't think
that "REST vs SOA" is a fruitful distinction.  "Uniform interface SOA" vs
"Customized interface SOA" might be a useful distinction ... I need to
harvest the discussion 10 days ago for the next draft of the document.

Actually <heresy> I'm not sure that "SOA" is anything more than the latest
buzzword from the marketing weasels and the consultants who prey upon them.
</heresy> What they talk about as the *definition* of SOA (coarse-grained,
loosely coupled, standards-based encapsulation of a distinct business
service) seems to be a *best practice* IMHO that could apply to REST,
SOAP/WSDL, or some combination thereof.  Anyone strongly disagree?