RE: Magic

+1 To Eric's response.

Mark, I think that it is indeed unfortunate that you continue to
characterize those of
us on this list as having "not done our homework". I personally find it
insulting and have said so
previously [1].

IMO, the "uniform interface" that has succeeded on the Web is not the
complete set
of HTTP methods (GET/POST/PUT/DELETE, and
the-ones-that-you-make-up-as-you-go-along[5].)

It is pretty much limited to GET. The number of Web resources that allow
PUT
and DELETE methods through is so frighteningly small that I seriously
doubt
these methods even factor into the equation of "what made the Web
successful".

Could we draw a conclusion that adopting a single universal method for
retrieving a representation
of a resource is (abstractly):

representation GET (URI identifier) throws Exception

Sure... might not be a bad idea at all. Is this signature enough? I doubt
it. There's really more to the
interface than that. There's certainly a need for an optional security
context. In fact, there's a bunch of
stuff that is carried in (optional) HTTP headers that is not captured in
this signature. Maybe, just maybe,
it would be a useful excersize to explore this a little further, maybe
even develop a processing model.
Ring any bells?

Further, as I have argued previously [2], I am not convinced that HTTP
POST has
any set semantic meaning other than "here, chew on this". Certainly, in
practice
as opposed to theory, POST means whatever the authority has chosen it to
mean in
the context of the resource(s) to which it applies (and yes, quite often,
it is the plural
and *not* the singular because the thing at the end of the URI is a
program not a
resource, typically a CGI script/program interface) (and yes, I am quite
aware
of the fact that Roy says that these "suck", and they may indeed "suck",
but that misses
the point that in practice they probably outnumber the uses of POST that
fully adhere
to the constraints of REST, and they do work and have been successful in
their own
right).

Still further, *you* continue to dismiss and/or avoid[3] any discussion on
points
that are well intended explorations[4] of the very claims you and others
are making
when you assert as a foregone conclusion the hypothesis (and it can be
nothing but an
hypothesis because it has *not* been proven by any stretch of the
imagination)  that
the same architectural constraints that apply to human-centric Web
browsing
when applied to program to program communications yield the same (desired)

properties.

IMO, the members of the WSA and many others who participate on this list
*have been* making more than a *small* effort. I can certainly make that
claim for
myself.

Mark, do yourself a favor, don't assume that it is *we* who "don't get it"
and
don't assume that because we don't agree with you that it is because we
"don't get it".

Thanks,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Dec/0184.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2003Jan/0351.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Dec/0265.html
[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Dec/0263.html
[5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2003Jan/0400.html

www-ws-arch-request@w3.org wrote on 05/18/2003 08:27:22 AM:

> Mark,
>
> This is a very interesting response.  You do not allow for the
possibility that I (and presumably
> others) might understand but still disagree.
>
> The lack of recognition for opposite viewpoints is usually a
disqualifier for participation in a
> public forum such as this, and I strongly urge you to either admit the
possibility or withdraw.

> For the record, I completely agree that the Web is an historical
success, and that REST as an
> architectural description is very well suited to the Web.  I think
uniform interfaces work well
> for the Web, and I do not think the Web is either trivial or crude.
>
> But I also do not think that REST is an appropriate architecture for Web
services.  The problem
> space of program to program communications is sufficiently different
from the problem space of
> hypertext publishing to require a different approach.  I do not agree
that tunneling is evil, and
> I do not agree that WSDL interfaces are limiting, because I do not agree
that WSDL is used in the
> same way as REST, or should be.
>
> The purpose of my email was to highlight the significance of factors
outside of technical and
> architectural purity.  Part of the argument I often hear about REST is
that it has succeeded,
> therefore it's good.  In the case of SOAP, WSDL, and UDDI the same is
true, and that viewpoint
> needs to be acknowledged.  Web services products do not implement REST,
they implement SOAP, WSDL,
> UDDI, and a number of other specifications that are starting to emerge.
>
> We, as a working group, have the choice of accepting the fact and
working toward the goal of
> defining an architecture that embraces them and the concepts they
embody, or risking irrelevance.

> Eric

academic exercises and focus on