RE: Announce: WS-Callback, WS-MessageData, and WS-Acknowledgement specifications

Following are my personal impressions of the situation:

I believe that WS-Acknowledgement is one of the specification candidates
related to Reliable Messaging that have come out over a period of time.
Although I would not be qualified to say that it is dated or has been
superceded, I believe that at least some of the authors of this spec
later went on to participate in the creation of one (or possibly)of what
most people consider the two primary RM candidate specs at present,
WS-Reliability and WS-ReliableMessaging.

Drilling down a bit into the questions, HTTP over TCP/IP provides a
conversational protocol that simulates synchronous messaging (that's put
loosely, but I don't want to get into a big discussion of
"synchronous").  Under thoses circumstances, the conversation that
occurs under the covers does indeed tell the sender of a message whether
the message has been received or not.  The case of asysnchronous
messaging (in the sense that the sender sends off a message and does not
wait for any indication of whether the message has been received)
requires a separate acknowledgement infrastructure to achieve the
reliability of messaging required by business transactions.

Please see the most current editor's version of the architecture
document for a more complete discussion of this issue.

Note to the group:  This business of having to "in-line" a discussion of
the concepts every time one wants to use the term synchronous is a pain
in the neck.