RE: MOM and reliable messaging article by Chris

Ugo,

I think that I can provide an authoritative response:) Please see below.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

www-ws-arch-request@w3.org wrote on 05/12/2003 01:46:45 PM:

> I read the article and I found the section "WS-ReliableMessaging as
middleware interoperability
> protocol" both interesting and unclear regarding the proposed solution.
The section says:

> "We believe that the most important prospect for the
WS-ReliableMessaging protocol will be to
> provide the standard protocol for interoperability between different
vendors' message oriented
> middleware environments. In this scenario, we envisage that
WS-ReliableMessaging would be
> augmented with a set of standardized WSDL portTypes and bindings that
would be specific to
> endpoint managers. These standardized portTypes and bindings would be
implemented by vendors of
> messaging middleware products to enable messages from other middleware
environments to be
> reliably, and interoperably exchanged with their own".
>
> What is not clear to me is what type of transport the
WS-ReliableMessaging protocol would use in
> this scenario. Would it be HTTP? Would it be a new transport
specifically designed to support

For interoperability purposes the binding would likely be HTTP, but other
protocols might be suitable
as well (e.g. BEEP).

> reliable messaging and still to be standardized? (Evidently it cannot be
one of the existing MOM
> protocols, or JMS providers, since they all have their own wire protocol
implementation and only
> one endpoint manager would be able to understand it).

Well, it certainly *could* be, but the likelihood of that happenstance is
infinitesimal as compared
to using HTTP;)