Re: Proposed text for section 1.6.2 and 1.6.3

You could argue that CORBA + IIOP was trying to do very much what web
services now do - provide distributed services in a vendor-neutral and
interoperable framework.

IMO what distinguishes what we usually think of as web services from
other distributed services is that they have a non-opaque standard
message format and a more common standardized protocol. Which makes
interoperability much easier to accomplish.

Whether this is an essential distinction can be debated.

--Jon