RE: Proposed text for section 1.6.2 and 1.6.3

The only trouble with equating REST and the Web is that the Web existed before REST did.  I also think REST applies more to HTTP 1.1 than HTTP 1.0, so it may also be possible to argue that point of view, too.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Champion, Mike
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 10:53 AM
To: Damodaran, Suresh; Champion, Mike; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Cc: w3c-wsa-editors@w3.org
Subject: RE: Proposed text for section 1.6.2 and 1.6.3

So what are you suggesting ... to eliminate the distinction betweeen
"the Web" and "REST".  I could live with that, I think, but I don't
feel comfortable implying that all the non-RESTful stuff
(CGI scripts, cookies, and statefulness maintained by
application servers) is not "the Web."  <grin>

I think I know where you're going -- maybe I cut TOO sharp a
distinction between the Web and the RESTful subset of the
Web -- but would appreciate specific wording suggestions from
Suresh or anyone who agrees with him.

> 2. WSA must be semantic web ready (at least not inhibit)

Hmm, good point ... we should make some reference to that.  Actually, the
previous draft had a bit on "the description of an SOA is the description of
the messages" that I meant to keep and apprently didn't.  Saying something
about the potential for Semantic Web technologies to describe the semantics
as well as syntax of messages might be useful.