Re: The UR Trout: Web Services, REST, SOAP

"Ugo Corda" <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com> writes:
> > As a WSDL kinda guy, I am of the "has WSDL => is a Web service"
> > orientation.
>
> How far would you go with that statement? Would a WSDL endpoint
> bound to Java RMI qualify as a Web service?

See WSIF (http://ws.apache.org/wsif) - it does call them Web
services .. and a host of other things.

However, from a WSA point of view I'm ok with leaving out that
stuff as being <something else> services. I think that WSA
should not rule out inherent parts of the Web like HTTP/XML/MIME
things as Web services. Form POST is a nice way to invoke a
service .. as is GET. The response could be just XML, or SOAP
(like the SOAP response MEP) or a JPEG or some other MIME type.
If its properly described in WSDL, then the user can know how
to handle it correctly.

If this is OT let's take it off-list .. I know lots of this stuff
was discussed a long time ago and I don't want to waste the WG's
time.

Sanjiva.