RE: Polls (was RE: Proposed text for 2.2.21 (take 2))

Well said and that is what I have put in the text for 2.2.21.

Hao

-----Original Message-----
From: Champion, Mike
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Sent: 7/2/03 6:27 PM
Subject: RE: Polls (was RE: Proposed text for 2.2.21 (take 2))

All those trout I just mailed you will smell pretty bad by the time they
get
to Australia :-)

But seriously, I think that the reality is that raw HTTP+XML is a useful
way
of providing, uhh, "services over the Web" in situations where SOAP is
overkill.  A simple Amazon.com interface may be one such situation.  I
for
one don't quarrel with anything in that article.  Obviously SOAP 1.2
lowers
the "barriers to entry" further by supporting the GET web method.

I wish we could get past this "WSA demands that you use SOAP and WSDL"
idea.
All WSA is saying is that if one wants to support the Requirements that
go
beyond what Tim O'Reilly is talking about -- reliability, transactions,
choreography, encryption, signatures, authentication, authorization,
etc. --
then we Recommend that one use the SOAP extension model and the WSDL
description model. It's not that we're saying "HTTP+XML is not a real
Web
service", we're saying "to go beyond what you can do with raw HTTP+XML,
we
Recommend that you use the WSA framework, which is based on SOAP and
WSDL."