RE: programming model for document-style SOAP

hi, Anne,

I agree that either approach is ok and one does not have to use either if
they don't want to.

The difference (or question to explore) is:" how much value does the RPC
model and proxy generation provide when compared with the cost they incur? "

My point is that at coarse grained level, the RPC approach is not cost
effective.

In your PO example, the additional cost of using SOAP for the submitPO
method and generating proxy is just far greater than POSTing a PO XML
directly to the server.

Processing the received XML is a different issue. I agree that you may be
able to generate some code for processing the XML if there is a stable
processing pattern (not XML parsing) available.  However, due to the nature
of extensibility of XML (and the nature of business), the incoming PO will
evolve and so will the processing pattern itself.  This would make code
generation quite difficult if not impossible.

Hao