Re: Summing up on visibility(?) (really, I mean it this time 8-)

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 03:53:58PM +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
> Only with the rider that tightening the interface constraint will entail
> loosening some other constraint. It's all swings and roundabouts.
>
> My problem with your way of formulating the problem is that it seems to
> focus near exclusively on one particular aspect. You want to optimize
> wrt that axis, and I'm pointing out that there are many axes and that a
> global optimum doesn't necessarily coincide with a one-dimensional one.

Yes, you have to suck up the cost of the general interface.  I've never
said otherwise.  As Roy says;

"The trade-off, though, is that a uniform interface degrades efficiency,
since information is transferred in a standardized form rather than one
which is specific to an application's needs."
 -- http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm#sec_5_1_5

Personally I consider that an extremely small price to pay for the
benefits gained.

Anyhow, I agree to wrap up this "summing up" thread now, and agree to
disagree.

It seems that only Walden Matthews and James Snell[1] agreed with my
characterization of visibility, of those who spoke up.  Is that enough
to get it in to the WSA doc?

 [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2003Jan/0249