RE: Proposed text on reliability in the web services architecture

Bob:

As you move the context of the discussion from an action request to
interactions with a (distributed) object, you are introducing a whole
new class of problems that people have wrestling with for years. As I
said in my previous email, there is no good model for a "business
object" today, let alone for a "globally" distributed object model. When
you get some HTML from my server, I could not care less to what you do
with it. If I need to be notified of what you did with it, then you need
something more (WEBDAV). WebDAV works for documents but what about
business entities?

If a web service operation represent an interaction with this business
entity, the best you can do is downgrade it to be an action. If the
result of the action shipped to you as the response has now a lifecycle
that is not independent of the business object, let alone all these
serializations shipped to different clients in different sessions need
to be coordinated (not to mention kept in synch!), well that starts to
be a very complex problem.

The way I view the difference between XML serialization and
representation is the former looks like an HTML page served to a browser
while the other look like an EJB. At the metamodel level, and as Mike
pointed in its last email, a business entity has only one representation
but multiple possible serializations (based on what the client needs).

Jean-Jacques

On
>>Behalf Of bhaugen
>>Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 11:26 AM
>>To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
>>Subject: RE: Proposed text on reliability in the web services
architecture

>>Mike Champion continued:
>>> My guess would be that
>>> it is considerably easier to write adapters and mediators that don't
>>change
>>> fundamental architectural principles.  Maybe I'm missing something
>>myself,
>>> but it's *hard* to design systems that use the
resource/representation