Re: Issue 5 and "webarch"

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 02:42:02PM -0800, David Orchard wrote:
> While theoretically possible, I don't see the rationale that says that EVERY
> identifier and/or location/address in EVERY app should use URIs.

Strawman.

All I have ever said, is that there are enormous benefits to identifying
things with URIs.  If you don't, you lose those benefits (and can't make
them up elsewhere).  Chief amoungst those benefits are the low
coordination costs of data retrieval via GET.

And these lost benefits aren't just a "nice to have".  They are required
for Internet scale deployment, between untrusted parties.  All systems
I know of that work between untrusted parties (Email, the Web, etc..)
have these benefits.  All systems which don't, who have attempted to
get deployed on the Internet, have failed.  Coincidence?

So if you're building an invoicing app, you'd be making a serious
mistake not to give each invoice a URI.