RE: A Priori Information (Was Snapshot of Web Services Glossary )

That's one definition, but all the ones I've read [1] seem to imply that a
priori knowledge is one that is not based on facts, such as self-evident,
intuitive or whatever reasoning you had and want to validate.

So a use case would go like that:

- I think this service will give me the time of day (a priori)
- I send a request, get a response, validate/invalidate my assumption

So, to further confuse the reader, if I had a definition of the service that
I want to interact with, I would say that's a priori knowledge. It's not
self evident or intuitive, but it's reasoning based on the service
definition. It's not validated.

I send a request, get a response, validate my assumption based on that
response and now my knowledge is no longer a priori.

On the other hand, if I have an end-point with no idea what it does, send a
message and get some response back, then I learn what the service does
without a priori knowledge. (End-point is considered prior knowledge in this
context)

In other words, using a WSDL definition to interact with a service is a
priori knowledge, but just sending some empty message and getting a response
is no a priori knowledge with prior knowledge.

And before REST advocates interject, the same holds true for protocol listed
in the URL. Assuming that a URL starting with http: implies an HTTP server
at that end is a priori knowledge. We validate it by sending an HTTP request
and seeing whether we get any HTTP response or some other response (no HTTP
server here, go away!) or no response (no TCP server here, have a nice day).

arkin

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=a+priori&r=3