Re: Visibility (was Re: Introducing the Service Oriented Architec tural style, and it's constraints and properties.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 08:40:14PM -0700, Champion, Mike wrote:
> > So where are the standard Web service APIs?
>
> Huh? APIs???

Yah, APIs.  HTTP provides a standardized one.

Why haven't I seen people talk about API standardization yet?  Is it
considered a good thing that if Altavista wants to Web-service-enable
their search engine, that they should use a different API than Google?
I would hope not.

> Any standards that you can use to explain to a stupid machine what to look
> for in a message and how to use its value in a routing/filtering/cacheing
> decision enhance "visibility" IMHO.

That's true, but some kinds of information have a bigger effect on
visibility than others.  The method/action/operation/whatever has
the largest effect.