Re: Resource definition

Christopher B Ferris wrote:

>  > if I
>  > want to turn the bulb on, I just do a HTTP PUT containing a
>  > representation of the "on state" to the URI identifying the lightbulb.
>
> Yes, assuming you knew what that representation was, and assuming that the
> PUT method is supported by the resource...

It's worse than that, because of composition. Consider the composite
action "PlugInNewLightbulb THEN TurnOnLightbulb". Not only do we have
to handle partial failures; one cannot even *express* the desired state
of the new bulb as a state-representation PUT, because it doesn't exist
until the first part of the action is complete. (It's about here that
you discover how useful pronouns are in language!) And outlawing this
kind of thing - requiring that such actions be decomposed into their
state-representatable components - just doesn't work.