Re: Resource definition

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 20:33, Mark Baker wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 04:38:54PM -0800, Burdett, David wrote:
> > In an earlier email, Francis McCabe said ...

> > state of the light is a representable resource; no question. The action of
> > flipping the switch is not so representable. The arm which is used to flip
> > the switch is, however, a resource; although any representation of it in
> > terms of bits is merely a symbol and not the real thing.<<<
> >
> > So is the act of moving the arm to turn on/off the switch a resource?
>
> Well, I suppose you could make it one, but I'm not sure what that
> would accomplish.
>
> One doesn't need to talk about a switch, or the movement of a switch, or
> even a toggleSwitch() method, in order to effect a state change with the
> bulb, because the interaction style is one of *state transfer*; if I
> want to turn the bulb on, I just do a HTTP PUT containing a
> representation of the "on state" to the URI identifying the lightbulb.

Within the world of HTTP you might do it that way but URIs were meant to
be more than any given protocol or scheme. I can think of a myriad of
knowledge systems that might want to talk about the physical human act
of turning on a light. I'm sure the web3d folks would find that an
extremely interesting thing to assign a URI to....

-MM