From: Assaf Arkin [mailto:arkin@intalio.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 10:02 PM
To: Burdett, David; 'Duane Nickull'; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: Layers in the WSA (was RE: [Fwd: UN/CEFACT TMG Releases e-Bus
ines s Architecture Technical Specification for Public Review])

On the other hand, there will be use cases where there are long-standing
business relationships with repeat business where negotiating and making
agreements in advance (as ebXML does) makes complete sense.

Can we say that in this case the message has to contain a reference to some
agreement and the message gets processed subject to that agreement?

For example, you can have a service level agreement that need to be
pre-negotiated and all messages have to carry the SLA number to be processed
and the SLA can be started and managed by some WSDL operation. There is no
need to negotiate messaging-level agreement, and the negotiation of another
agreement could be in itself a service.

Just like a bank account, where I need to reference the account number when
I deposit or withdraw money (essentially my SLA), and I can also have
operations for creating and closing an account, but I don't need to
negotiate any messaging agreement with my bank. I can access my bank account
online from any computer that has support for the requested protocol (in my
case HTTPS).

arkin

So my take would be:
1. The messaging layer should allow support for the set of additional
features required (e.g. security, reliability, conversations, etc)

2. Use of the features in a message either separately or together should be
identified by extensions in the SOAP headers so that the recipient of the
message can determine what the sender expects them to do with the message.

3. The specification, ngotiation, and enforcement of agreements as in ebXML
should be possible, but as a layer on top.

Hope this helps.

David