targetResource (was Re: Definition for a Web Service)

At 05:45 PM 2003-08-11, Anne Thomas Manes wrote:
>And in terms of
>targetResource (which I believe has been dropped), the service URI should
>represent the service, not the thing that the service acts upon.

The Resource Oriented Model section of the WSA document is being revised.

I think we need to say something about this targetResource concept.

I always come back to UDDI as an example.

The WSDL file for UDDI v2 inquiry [1] has

targetNamespace="urn:uddi-org:inquiry_v2"

This WSDL file does not describe the "implementation", only the
"interface".  That is, it does not have a <service> element.

So, to describe two "implementations" of the UDDI interface, and have a
QName to identify each service, I need two more WSDL files with a different
targetNamespace (i.e., not urn:uddi-org:inquiry_v2).  Lets assume

WSDL #1 has targetNamespace="http://foo.example.org#"
<service name="myuddi" ...>

and

WSDL #2 has targetNamespace="http://bar.example.org#"
<service name="youruddi"...>

I then need to import the UDDI "interface" (as in [3], if the import links
were not broken).

However, how can I tell whether the registry data is the same?  If these
were two of the four UDDI Business Registry operators, then (in some sense)
they refer to the same targetResource even though they look like different
services (using definition/@targetNamespace and service/@name).  A query to
either should return the same results (lets ignore replication latency
:-).  So I would also like my audit log to have the identifier for the
targetResource.

I may also want to discover implementations of the UDDI interface using a
spider to index WSDL files.  Such a spider would need to look at the
import/@namespace rather than definition/@targetNamespace to know that they
both implement the same generic UDDI interface.  I could use the
targetResource to tell how many implementations point to the same registry
data, or determine how many different "registries" are indexed.

[1] http://uddi.org/wsdl/inquire_v2.wsdl
[2] http://test.uddi.microsoft.com/inquire.asmx?WSDL
[3] http://www.systinet.com/uddi/inquiry?WSDL

Paul