RE: Issue: Synch/Asynch Web services

I liked the way this thread started, with Roger suggesting that

<definition>
http//lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2003Mar/0146.html
A request/response interaction is said to be asynchronous when the
request and response are chronologically and procedurally decoupled. In
other words, the client agent can process the response at some
indeterminate point in the future when its existence is discovered, for
example, by polling, notification by receipt of another message, etc.
A request/response interaction is said to be synchronous when the client
agent must be available to receive and process the response message from
the time it issues the initial request until it is actually received or
some failure condition is determined. The exact meaning of "available to
receive the message" depends on the characteristics of the client agent
(including the transfer protocol it uses); it may, but does not
necessarily, imply tight time synchronization, blocking a thread, etc.
</definition>

may have a consensus, or at least a supermajority, behind it.
We'll probably do a straw poll, but does anyone have strong
objections, better ideas, or friendly admendments?