Re: new editor's draft of WSA available

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 05:47:10AM -0700, Champion, Mike wrote:
> What about the option of putting in a paragraph or so acknowledging that XML
> over HTTP is a "Level [0|1]" web service, but that you have to "pay the
> SOAP/WSDL tax"  (rephrased, of course) to get the additional benefits that
> the higher levels of the web services stack entail?

I would personally be against such a characterization.  I would say that
XML-over-HTTP is an extremely advanced form of Web service that doesn't
gain any benefit from the Web services stack (as in [1]).  It would be
more accurate to say that a Web service is a "Level 0" Web resource.

For the reference architecture, I'd be happy if we don't do anything to
preclude HTTP from being used.  For example, not requiring that all
messages use the XML syntax.  Even many SOAP 1.1+WSDL based Web services
use HTTP GET for returning WSDL.

 [1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/issues/wsa-issues.html#x5

Mark Baker, CTO, Idokorro Mobile.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.
http://www.markbaker.ca             http://www.idokorro.com