SOAs

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 09:26:07AM -0400, Champion, Mike wrote:
> > I'd be all for removing any mention of SOAs, if only because I can't
> > think of a distributed system which isn't about services.  Email, ftp,
> > irc, the Web; all are SOAs.  Besides, we'd have to define it, and we
> > know how icky getting concensus on definitions can be. 8-/
>
> We can't avoid this term, it's pervasive.  Icky consensus building is what
> we do!

Well, the term is very commonly used to suggest that Web services *adds*
a service-oriented bent to the Web, when in fact the Web already had it,
just a very decentralized one.  I would personally prefer to avoid terms
that bring along baggage like this, as it just makes understanding and
respecting Web architecture that much more difficult.

> That said, we can't get sidetracked by this. The first page of Google hits
> for "service oriented architecture" has the definitions quoted above.  They
> are pretty consistent.  Let's let the editors tweak the wording, get it in
> the documents, and move on.

Ok.  As long as the definition and our use of the term doesn't suggest
that Web services are in any way adding any SOA-capabilities to the Web,
I'm (relatively) happy.

Mark Baker, CTO, Idokorro Mobile.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.
http://www.markbaker.ca             http://www.idokorro.com