From: Edwin Khodabakchian [mailto:edwink@collaxa.com]
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 1:44 PM
To: 'Burdett, David'
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: Definition of Choreography

David,

I *very* much agree on your point where the coordination of message
exchanges is different from the coordination of activities (which is what
workflow engine do) but this is not easy to explain.

Regarding public versus private, I was *not* talking about company
boundaries but component/service boundary. The public face of an ERP system
is the information you need to know about that system to integrate it into
your application (even if the application that is integrating the
functionality lives within your corporation). On the other hand, the private
implementation refers to how SAP delivers the service.

Separating the 2 faces is important because you do not want to overwhelm the
application developer who is doing the integration with the details of how
SAP processes order. Also you want to be able to change the internals of SAP
without having to update all the applications that integrate to SAP. In the
Java world, an Interface is the public face of a component, a class is the
private implementation.

If you think that within that context, public/private separation is not the
right dicothomy, I am open to any other suggestion but I believe that we
need to make sure that there is a very clear understanding of the problem we
are solving and the value that a choreography spec will deliver: will it
increase interoperability between business processes or make the execution
of business processes more portable or both.

Best,

Edwin