RE: Definition of Choreography

Roger

You said ...

"However, it has been MUCH less than clear to me what the leverage is for
doing this in a standardized way".

There are two types of standardization here, one very useful, one much less
so.

The less useful one is the standard way of **describing** a choreography. I
agree with you that it will be some time before there are tools that could
make good use of such a standardized choreography.

However what is much more useful, I would almost say essential, is
standardized definitions of actual choreographies, i.e. how you place an
order, how to submit an invoice, etc.

If everyone (or even each vendors ERP system) does this differently, then
you will have to do hand coding in your implementation to support each
different choreography. On the other hand, if there is general agreement on
these choreogrphies then all you need to do is recognize that you (e.g. the
buyer) and the other (e.g. the seller) support the same choreography and you
should have no extra work to do - at least not wrt choreographies.

However this will only work if:
1. There is a group working on standardizing the choreographies (do I hear
UN/CEFACT here?)
2. There is a standard way of **identifying** a choreography so that you
know that you can interoperate

David