RE: Potential issue around ws-security and wsdl definitions

>There are a variety of rationale for including description in v1:
>1) To ensure that the runtime aspects can be described in a reasonable
>manner - it would be unfortunate if some headers were difficult to
>describe in wsdl; 2) To promote interoperability - bodies such as
>W3C and WS-I believe that interoperable descriptions are a requirement
>to interoperability."

Hi David,

As a participant in OASIS WS Security and also a participant in OASIS
WSS QoP discussion group, I am in agreement that we do need to support
web services SOAP security run-time extensions alongwith with an
appropriate set of WSDL-centric description to support security
policy interoperability and control.

In last week's meeting of OASIS WSS QoP group (minutes available
at:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wssqop-discuss/200210/msg00028.html)

we discussed the feasibility of defining the WSDL-centric security policy
descriptions for transport-level security, application authentication,
encryption, and signature features. We also decided that it would be
a good idea to invite the W3C Web Services Description group to give
the OASIS WSS QoP group a presentation w.r.t. policy description
extensions for security features. A similar discussion with OASIS
ebXML CPP/CPA group will also be done to determine what security policy
description may be adopted from there, if any.

No decision has been made when the OASIS WSS TC will support
WSDL based security policy management. However, the OASIS WSS-QoP
discussion group did a survey fo when such capabilities are needed
as a standard, see:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wssqop-discuss/200210/msg00000.html

I would welcome that W3C Web Service Architecture WG provide any
inputs in this direction. Obviously, the bottom line is we need
interoperability for not only security run-time description/extensions,
but also for its configuration/policy desciption/extensions.

I think W3C Web Services Description WG could help in this
direction in terms of generic defintion of policies and policy
extensions that can be incorporated in WSDL interface and
implementation documents.

cheers,
Zahid