FW: Fitting "Choreography" into the WSA framework

[resending to the public list.  The whole POINT of the message was to get to
a larger audience!  Sorry ...]

-----Original Message-----
From: Champion, Mike
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 11:27 AM
To: 'w3c-ws-arch@w3.org'
Subject: Fitting "Choreography" into the WSA framework

A few things.

First, picking up my action item, the Chairs of the WSA WG solicit the help
of people who have specialized knowledge of the various specifications and
proposals in the web services choreography / orchestration / business
process language space (VERY fuzzily and broadly defined) to help us
understand how to figure it all out.  The Chairs are very willing (within
W3C process constraints) to facilitate more direct participation by "invited
experts", etc.  This will be a short-term, focussed effort, not a long term
commitment.  W3C affiliation is NOT necessary (again, there are W3C process
considerations, but they are not onerous).

Please understand that we don't need advocacy of a particular point of view;
it's not our job to bless or damn alternatives, but to try to fit them into
a common reference architecture in terms of the role that they fill and the
value they add to others. The overall objective of the W3C here, as I
understand it, is to help prevent a repetition of the
"bad old days" in which one had to buy into a more-or-less proprietary
architecture top to bottom or not at all. By defining relatively clean
architectural layers in which different technologies can compete, but are
neutral with respect to the technologies above and below them, the WSA hopes
to promote a web-services world that looks more like the Web than silo
mentality that was so prevalent before it.

Second, please pass on pointers to articles, whitepapers, etc. that could
assist this.  Besides the ones Suresh pointed us to, I've found:

http://www.fawcette.com/xmlmag/2002_10/magazine/columns/signal/sjohnston/def
ault_pf.asp

http://www.sdtimes.com/news/061/story1.htm

http://wwws.sun.com/software/xml/developers/wsci/faq.html#1q2

that seem reasonably focused on technology and not industry politics and are
not too overboard in their advocacy.

As with almost everything related to XML, Robin Cover has great summaries
and links relevant to all this:

http://xml.coverpages.org/wsci.html
http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2002-08-12-a.html