RE: Gateways

>>> Yes, and taking that at the SOAP level, a SOAP node could receive SOAP
>>> messages traveling over HTTP and forward them to another SOAP node over
>>> SMTP. Is that still a gateway?
>>>
>>If it terminates the message, yes, I'd say so.

>Well, I can probably look at it either way. The first SOAP message
>terminates and a new SOAP message is generated to go to the next node. Or
>it's the same SOAP message, just going through an intermediary.

By "new" SOAP message, I presume you also include the possibility
of a modified version of the received SOAP message. E.g., a SOAP
node may add, remove, change a header or add, remove, change an
attachment in the received message and transmit the modified
version of the (received) SOAP message to the next node.

Zahid Ahmed

>> Yes, and taking that at the SOAP level, a SOAP node could receive SOAP
>> messages traveling over HTTP and forward them to another SOAP node over
>> SMTP. Is that still a gateway?
>
>If it terminates the message, yes, I'd say so.

Well, I can probably look at it either way. The first SOAP message
terminates and a new SOAP message is generated to go to the next node. Or
it's the same SOAP message, just going through an intermediary.

Ugo

P.S. All this reminds me of the particle/wave duality in quantum mechanics,
where it is one or the other depending on how you look at it  :-).