From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paul@prescod.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 2:55 PM
To: Ugo Corda
Cc: 'Champion, Mike'; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: Article on WS architecture and best practice ... may be of in
terest

Ugo Corda wrote:
>>this methodology
>>defeats the whole purpose of Web services, which is to hide the
>>implementation of a service completely behind an XML-based interface.
>>VS.NET generates the interface from the implementation.
>

> I don't see the conflict here. For any user of the Web service the
> generated interface does exactly that: hides the original
> implementation.
>
> If the point made by the article is that Web services interfaces
> should be defined first and implementations should follow, this is
> evidently not possible in all those cases where Web services are used
> as wrappers for legacy implementations.

I think that the point is that the web service's interfaces should be
designed to make it into a good network application which could be
radically different than the appropriate interfaces for a LAN-based or
desktop software component for all of the reasons described in the
"Waldo paper" and elsewhere. If you are just letting software "generate"
your network interface from a pre-existing interface then the chances it
is optimal as a network application is tiny.

  Paul