RE: Top cloud in triangle/rectangle diagram

At 02:09 PM 10/4/2002 -0400, Sedukhin, Igor wrote:
>I think last diagram (slide 4) [of
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Oct/0062.html ] misses
>a role of an "Advetrizer" to be consistent. It could be that e-mail server
>that distributed the spam. Because if not, then why have roles of a
>Service and Requestor? We can have an architecture with only one line and
>name it "Activity". I'm sure that'll get the group consensus :).

The Service and Requester are individual roles because we consider them to
be significant to the architecture that we're defining.  You may consider
"Advertizer" to be a significant role also.  That's a valid point of view,
and is illustrated on Slide1 and Slide2 (with different labels).  But the
point of Slide3 and Slide4 is to show that it isn't the ONLY valid point of
view.  The "Advertise" arc in Slide4 does not require a third party role
any more than the "Interact" arc does.  Physically there might be all kinds
of intermediaries between them, but at the level of architectural
abstraction, they are both direct connections.

--
David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard