From: Joseph Hui [mailto:jhui@digisle.net]
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 6:11 PM
To: Hugo Haas; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: What to make of D-AC020.1?

Hi Hugo,

>   D-AC020.1
>
>     A service consumer must be able to know the privacy
>     policies of the
>     service provider(s) that it is going to interact with.

This sounds good, except the "service consumer must be able to" part seems
to place the burden (of privacy policies) more on the consumer than on the
provider.  If it's agreeable that the burden should be mostly (or even
solely?) on the provider, then it may help to invert the statement to
something like:

      A service provider MUST disclose its privacy policies in manners
      that can be easily understood by the consumers.  In the absence
      of such disclosure, a consumer (of the service) SHOULD assume
      that neither the service nor its provider furnishes any privacy
      policy.

Cheers,

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service