RE: D-AG0020 Privacy (was Re: WS Privacy)

Hi Hugo,

Bravo!
I'm very gratified that you've decided to take on the task.

I have no issues with the D-AG0020 goal statement as-is.

On the second CSF,
>   - Data provision during Web services transactions should be
>     minimized.
>     (in order to avoid consumer tracking)
I'd like to suggest adding "private"
or "personal" to "Data provision" to avoid
a paradox between D-AG0018 and D-AG0020.
D-AG0018, having to do with diagnostic instrumentation,
is prone to maximizing data collection.
Also, I wouldn't mind not seeing the "(in order to
avoid consumer tracking)" text in our formal document.
Arguments can be made for "consumer tracking" being
not necessarily a bad thing.  Not all merchants are
in the business of privacy invasion.  Consumer tracking
can be an effective means for merchants to improve their
services, which is quite alright for consumers at large,
**so long as the consumers can opt out at will**.
Thus it follows that it will be critical to design into
the WS-Arch some privacy related opt-out features.
Therefore, I'd suggest the second CSF be modified to:

    - Private data provision during a Web service transaction
      should not exceed the consumer's consent, where the
      consumer must be provided with reasonable means for
      opt-out.

Cheers,

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service