From: Krishna Sankar [mailto:ksankar@cisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 6:37 PM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: D-AG006 Security

Ann,

	Good idea. Do we have an D-AG00x number for QoS ? Like Ann points
out, we also need a vocabulary for defining and describing QoS related
factors for interoperability.

	I also would like to add cachability factors in the same bucket.

	BTW, ebXML would be a good start. I think it is in our charter to
work with OASIS and W3C groups on this.

cheers

 | ebXML does -- but most of the SOAP community doesn't pay much heed to  |
ebXML). If we're to enable interoperability, at some point
 | we'll need to
 | form groups to define SOAP extenstions that specify how to
 | represent this
 | information/context in SOAP headers.
 |
 | Anne

semantics - BTP (for distributed trx), ebXML (for Reliable
 | messaging) et
 | > al.
 | >
 | > 	Secure messaging would be under security.
 | >
 | > cheers

 | >  | [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Cutler,  | >  |
Roger (RogerCutler)  | >  | Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 2:28 PM  | >  |
To: 'Joseph Hui'; Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler); Krishna  | >  | Sankar;
www-ws-arch@w3.org  | >  | Subject: RE: D-AG006 Security  | >  |  | >  |  |
>  | I'm not quite sure what you mean by "transaction  | >  | processing". I
have heard  | >  | the term used in more than one way.  Is the concern  | >
| essentially to have a  | >  | mechanism for handling stateful transactions
-- for example,  | >  | to carry state  | >  | information in the messages?
Or are you talking about the  | >  | idea of "rolling  | >  | back" a
transaction if it fails -- or possibly of initiating  | >  | compensating  |
Joseph Hui [mailto:jhui@digisle.net]  | >  | Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002
4:14 PM  | >  | To: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler); Krishna Sankar;
 | www-ws-arch@w3.org
 | >  | Subject: RE: D-AG006 Security
 | >  |
 | >  |
 | >  | > Could we possibly consider putting reliable messaging into  | >  |
> the security bucket?  | >  |  | >  | I don't think so.  There's no
security primitives that  | >  | would fit the bill of reliable messaging
(RM), which I sometimes  | >  | characterize as "layer-7 TCP" where a
session between two  | >  | endpoints may span  | >  | over several
time-serialized connections, disconnections,  | >  | reconnections.  | >  |
AG006 may include securing RM, but not RM per se.  | >  |  | >  | While at
it, let me mention that if you want to include  | >  | RM in WS-Arch, then
you may as well not leave out  | >  | transaction processing.  | >  |  | >
| [snip]  | >  | > it is a natural  | >  | > progression of thought:  "I'm
worried about who the author of  | >  | > the message  | >  | > is, whether
it is distorted, and that IT ACTUALLY GETS THERE".  | >  |  | >  |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ There no  | >  | security primitives that can
guarantee data arrival.  | >  |  | >  | Joe Hui  | >  | Exodus, a Cable &
Wireless service  | >  |  | >  |  | >  |  | >  |