RE: D-AG006 Security

[snip]
> 	But I do not think non-repudiation is within our domain. It is a
> business artifact and has a lot of legal and business impacts.

The legal and business impacts can be addressed by digital signature,
which is a wonderful security primitives for WSsec.
Besides, we won't even have to try hard to make this powerful
functionality available in WS-Arch.  XML-dsig is ready for
prime time, not to mention other non-W3C-IETF alternatives.

> For example legally we need to keep records for 7 years and what
> happens if advances in cryptography makes the old way of
> securing is no more valid ?

Invalid how?  This is a non-issue as long as private keys are
kept safe.  Public key encryption has been around since the
late 70s, time and proofs done by academics have proven its
worth.  If it's valid enough for the US Congress (which passed
the law circa 1998 legitimizing digital signature as a legal
tender for signing documents, and had deliberated the technology
for years prior to the law's passage), then I see no reason
to lose sleep over the possibility of its obsolescence.
The ciphers or key strength may vary of over time,
e.g. preference of RSA over DH, the increase of key length.
The principle is timeless, in our life time anyway.

BTW, using digital signature to ensure non-repudiation in
transactions is nothing new.  It's been done (in conjunction
with EDI, e.g.) for years.  Ask some brokerage firms and
institutional traders.

> Non-repudiation cannot be solved purely by
> technology/infrastructure.

We solve the part pertaining to WS-styled electronic transactions.

> 	What is your definition of accessibility ?

Definition by example (so to leave little room for word bending
like the one we had with WS Def ;-): Transgressions like DOS/DDOS
impair a WS endpoint's accessibility by its legitimate users.
DNS spoofing, matching a valid domain name to a bogus IP address
is another form where the source is the primary targeted victim
(in a transaction), as opposed to DOS/DDOS, where the destination
is the primary targeted victim.

> Would it be covered by AuthZ and privacy ?

No.  See accessibility def above.

> 	I do think privacy is important. Anonymity is part of it, other
> part is not to allow visibility because of a set of
> circumstances/capabilities/side effects; yet another part is
> the freedom
> to decide how much can be visible under what circumstances. How it
> manifests itself is for us to figure out.

I tend to agree; others, say some advocacy groups, may think otherwise.
Not knowing how privacy crept into the charter, I'd leave it open to
run its own course.  If no one comes forward to champion its cause,
then it may as well fall to way side by default.
(Privacy?  What privacy?)

Cheers,

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service