RE: D-AG006 Security

Joseph,

	Good questions. I will take it upon me to detail the points
raised. Let me take a couple of days to think thru and elaborate the
various aspects and present a first cut. Will try to do examples as
well. BTW, I did not mean to take AuthC and AuthZ out. We need them
both.

	But I do not think non-repudiation is within our domain. It is a
business artifact and has a lot of legal and business impacts.

	For example legally we need to keep records for 7 years and what
happens if advances in cryptography makes the old way of securing is no
more valid ? Non-repudiation cannot be solved purely by
technology/infrastructure.

	What is your definition of accessibility ? Would it be covered
by AuthZ and privacy ?

	I do think privacy is important. Anonymity is part of it, other
part is not to allow visibility because of a set of
circumstances/capabilities/side effects; yet another part is the freedom
to decide how much can be visible under what circumstances. How it
manifests itself is for us to figure out.

cheers

 | >  |
 | >  |
 | >  | Hi all,
 | >  |
 | >  | As the volunteered "champion" (during today's telecon) for
 | >  | one of the WSAWG goals, "AG006 -- addresses the security of
 | >  | web services across distributed domains and platforms," I
 | >  | wish to solicit your interest in starting and sustaining a
 | >  | "spirited" discussion on web services security.  The primary
 | >  | objective (of the discussion) is to confirm the stated goal
 | >  | by *rough* consensus, and refine it (the goal, not the
 | >  | consensus ;-) if necessary.  The secondary objective is to
 | >  | harvest the upshot of the discussion and turn it into
 | >  | something we can use in near term for identifying "Critical
 | >  | Success Factors" -- whatever that may mean to you -- and
 | >  | requirements. Hopefully, by being mindful of the objectives,
 | >  | we can keep this thread reasonably focused.  However, please
 | >  | don't let the objectives adversely constrain your will to
 | >  | express.  You're welcome to disregard the objectives and
 | >  | throw in whatever you see fit in the spirit of doing good
 | >  | for web services security.
 | >  |
 | >  | To get the ball rolling, let me start with the goal
 | > statement itself:
 | >  |
 | >  |    AG006 -- addresses the security of web services across
 | >  |             distributed domains and platforms.
 | >  |
 | >  | Q to all: Is the goal set to your satisfaction?
 | >  |           Too broad, too narrow, too ...?
 | >  |
 | >  | Answers/comments?
 | >  |
 | >  |
 | >  | To flesh out AG006 a bit more in terms of its implications,
 | >  | we can give it another whack at what addressing the web
 | >  | services security (WSsec) should entail in the architecture
 | >  | WS-Arch) to be designed.  Based on some previous discussions
 | >  | fragmented across several threads in www-ws-arch@w3.org, an
 | >  | assertion can be made that attaining goal AG006 entails
 | >  | addressing six security aspects in computing:
 | >  |    1) Accessibility;
 | >  |    2) Authentication (of ID and data/messages);
 | >  |    3) Authorization;
 | >  |    4) Confidentiality;
 | >  |    5) (data) Integrity; and
 | >  |    6) Non-repudiation.
 | >  |
 | >  | Comments?
 | >  |
 | >  |
 | >  | Closely related to security is (the issue of) "trust."
 | >  | We shall have a security framework alright. The question is:
 | >  | should we include trust modeling as a part of the
 | >  | framework's design, (e.g.. what trust model(s) to recommend
 | >  | or adopt for web
 | >  | services,) thus trust is a part of AG006; or should we deem
 | >  | "trust" outside the scope of AG006, thus we may need a
 | > separate goal?
 | >  |
 | >  | Answers/comments?
 | >  |
 | >  |
 | >  | Also, there was the mention of "privacy" in the charter,
 | >  | right next to security.  Privacy can mean different things
 | >  | in different contexts, ranging from preventing one's home
 | >  | address disclosed to a web merchant from being sold to
 | >  | junkmailers to keeping one's ID anonymous in transactions.
 | >  | I wasn't at the WS workshop last April, so have no clue
 | >  | what that was about.  Can someone shed some light on what
 | >  | the "privacy" is supposed to mean in our WS-Arch context, so
 | >  | we can determine whether it will be appropriate to lump it
 | >  | into AG006, or set a separate goal for it, or whatever?
 | >  |
 | >  | Answers/comments?
 | >  |
 | >  |