RE: URI's

Hi Roger,

I can see your math friends may succeed in proving an
isomorphism between address sets in IP and URI spaces.
It'll be their prerogative to treat the two the same
at their own peril not unlike calling birds turkeys
because turkeys are birds.

That aside, it's been established that IPaddrs are no URLs.
(An IPaddr conveys no scheme for resource access, got
starter.)  Your friends will have to prove IPaddrs
are URNs, or some other class of URI.  If they fail,
that's end of it.  If they succeed, then the goalpost
may be moved, with URI replaced by URL.

BTW, it hasn't occurred to me that people would associate
phone numbers and street addresses with web services.
How interesting.

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service