From: Joseph Hui [mailto:jhui@digisle.net]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 12:55 PM
To: Hugo Haas; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: URI's

Thought the following portion of a previous message of mine
to Roger would +1 to Hugo's and help close out the issue.

 The two differ in purpose and syntax, among other things.

 Don't let URIs like http://12.34.56.78 confuse you.  12.34.56.78 is an IP
address.  It's a part of a URI, but not  a URI, which comes with (the http)
scheme, separators, ...

 IP addresses are for identifying network nodes on the Internet.  URIs are
for identifying resources on (or even off) the web.  I can go on and on,
like trying to differentiate apple from orange.

 BTW, The reference to NAT only clouds your question.
 It's irrelevant to differentiating IPaddr from URI.

Cheers,

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service