Re: [HST] WSDL

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:08:24PM +1000, Hao He wrote:
> hi, Mark,
>
> Yes, harvesting a specification does not give as much as we would like.  The
> more interesting question about WSDL is perhaps where the overal role WSDL
> can play and should play in a WSA?

To start, I think we should document how people use it today.  Then we
can examine the overall architecture per our requirements, and decide
exactly what role WSDL should play.

> Also, should WSDL include a description about state transitions for a
> RESTful WSA?
>
> Any thoughts?

What do you think? 8-)  I'll leave the detail to later, but I personally
don't see much of role for large parts of WSDL (e.g. operations).  WSDL
exists primarily to be an IDL-like thing, yet the big leap forward in
Web architecture versus previous distributed computing architectures,
was the use of a generic interface for all components.  This means that
any component can communicate with any other because they share common
connector semantics ("actions").  With SOAP 1.1 + WSDL current practice,
connector semantics are shared only between components that have built
in knowledge of one another.  Hence the much greater coordination costs
in getting them to communicate.

Yesterday I saw a presentation from an analyst from Zapthink who
suggested that by 2004/2005, Web services would be able to communicate
with each other without any compiled-in knowledge of particular types of
Web services.  Wow, what a great idea, who would have thought of that?!
8-)  Of course, the Web has been doing that since it was created.

But we don't need to get into that now.