Re: Harvesting REST

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:30:15PM -0400, Champion, Mike wrote:
> Hmmmm .... "Hypertext" (as most would define it) use cases have to do with
> humans reading  textual representations of web resources.  Web Services use
> cases have to do with machines extracting and processing information
> identified by web resources.

If that is Eric's view, then I can understand what he means.  But
hypertext is in no way restricted to human processing.

> The issue is not the change of state of the resources, but the semantics of
> the resources.  One can imagine mapping the semantics of textual
> representations onto ontologies, etc. that would allow a machine to extract
> and process information, but this has not been demonstrated AFAIK in the
> "wild", only the laboratory.  So, as a practical matter, there are currently
> different use cases for web hypertext and web services.

Hmm, well, I'm not so sure.  If the choice is between an architectural
style which has demonstrated its inability to be deployed at Internet
scale, and one which has, though is still in the early stages of being
used in the way that Web services needs, I know which one I'd choose.

> BTW, I do agree with Mark B. that we ought to "harvest" the WEB (REST?)
> architecture as one of the inputs into the WSA.  To not do this would both
> deny the "web" part of web services, and would inflict upon us a long debate
> that the TAG would probably resolve in favor of the REST advocates.  While
> one might well argue that the 80/20 point of the WSA might exclude REST, it
> would not IMHO  be conducive to time to market!

Good to hear!  I agree.