Re: Peer to peer goal

Joel:
   Yes, you are right, connections come and go. However, how is it that
when you re-establish a connection you `know' its with the same entity;
especially in an environment that includes server farms, load-sharing,
etc.
   The requirement is that you have to be able to `connect'  -- in
software -- one connection with another; in order to support
long-running transactions.
   I.e., in a conversation, one entity sends a message to another, and a
few days (and a new server) later send another, or gets a reply and so
on. Permanent presence involves at least two abilities -- the ability to
send a message at an arbitrary time and the ability to know that a given
message does come from a particular entity.

Frank