RE: "Onion model" explained

If there was point there, that wasn't a salient one wrt
the gist in my original (first) response to Hal: authN
alone can suffice in some cases.

> The fact that I can present some
> random certificate to you, even if it passes all validity checks, only
> serves as identification.  My identity is not authenticated (bound to
> the identifiers in the cert) unless I can actively prove to you that I
> am the subject of said cert.  (This by demonstrating that I can sign a
> challenge nonce, verifiable using the cert's public key; or that I can
> decrypt something that you have encrypted with it.)

Again, let me reiterate what I expressed in previous messages of
this thread, it all comes down to Alice's discretion: in what
she trust?  In trust and sec, you get you pay for, but don't
pay for what you don't need.  There're many happy PGP folks
out there.  Not everyone, in fact most e-commerce practitioners
don't, find it necessary to add challenge/response on top of
trusted certs.  (BTW, this has been a well treaded area by
non-repudiation enthusiasts.)  Say, if you buy stuff from an
https website, do you chllenge the sellers?  I bet you don't,
even though it's your money that's at stake.

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service