From: Ugo Corda [mailto:UCorda@SeeBeyond.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 6:34 PM
To: Damodaran, Suresh; Ugo Corda; 'www-ws-arch@w3.org'
Subject: RE: [RTF] Behavior definition of Services - public discussion

Suresh,

>(1) is the notion of semantic behavior equivalence defined in AC009 (I
don't believe so)

Well, I don't think we can talk about semantic behavior equivalence without
knowing how to define semantic behavior first. Unless you are thinking of
semantic behavior in terms of inputs and outputs (so that if two services
have the same inputs and outputs values they are also equivalent). But I
think semantic behavior should go much deeper than that, by taking into
account, for instance, all the side effects not accounted for by IO
parameters, and at that point it becomes much more difficult to say when two
semantic behaviors are "equivalent".

<sd> Ugo, this is the exact difficulty I faced.
Where do you draw the line on what is "equivalent." One way is to wait for
a "universal equivalence defn." to appear via Semantic Web/....
Another solution: every service defn may also carry a defn of what is the
equivalence behavior.
This way, we don't have to depend on Semantic web to provide a universal
"equivalence definition."

I clearly prefer the later solution. What do you think?
</sd>

Ugo