From: Fraser David [mailto:david_a_fraser@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 5:57 AM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Infinite Loops and webservices

I have an idiot question:
Given how loosely coupled webservices and their clients can be and the high
degree of dynamicity(?) there can be in choosing webservices could it be
possible that infinite loops could occur between companies?
e.g.
Company X manufactures widgits
Company Y manufactures widgits
Company Z is a retailer of widgits

Company Z runs out of widgits and through dynamically searching through a
UDDI registry determines that Company X has the best price for widgets.
Company X does not have enough widgets to immediately fulfill the order but
instead informing the client of this Company X's webservice has been
programmed to search for another widget manufacturer (Company Y) in the UDDI

registry and buy the widgets at
cost thereby keeping the business of Company Z. Company Y only has 1 widget
left. Unfortunately its webservice has been programmed to search for the
cheapest widget manufacturer in the UDDI registry if it does not have enough

widgets to complete a sale. As Company X has the
cheapest widgets it invokes it's webservice. This completes the loop and
Company X and Y end up ordering 6 bazillion widgets from each other to
fulfill Company Z's need for only a couple of widgets.

D.