RE: The Web Services Threat Model

Hi Joe,

Thanks for writing this up. This is a very useful first step
in understanding the scope of WS security. Overall reads very well.

Some comments:

1. I would use words "initiator" and "responder" instead of client and
server
in this context because, a WS client MAY be a WS server at another time.
"Initiator and responder" define roles taken by the WS at any given point in
time.

2. I would prefer discussion of threats to primarily the message layer and
above +
and add any implications of threats on layers below. Discussion of IP
threats
in general would make this model more comprehensive, though possibly not
manageable
from WSA perspective. Essentially, as you have defined the horizontal
boundaries,
define vertical boundaries too.

3. It may be worthwhile thinking about adding the "service invocation
context" within
the boundary of WS threat model. Adding the context would ensure threats to
compositions of WS
and resulting collaborations among WS are also within the model.

Best regards,
-Suresh