RE: More tests

On September 25, Jim Hendler writes:

> At 3:58 PM +0100 9/25/03, Ian Horrocks wrote:
> >On September 25, Jeremy Carroll writes:
> >>

> >>  > One type of test that we are missing is small tests that, while
> >>  > potentially easy may prove difficult for some naive implementations.
> >>  > Attached is an example of such a test. The "TEST" class, and hence the
> >>  > ontology, is inconsistent. I would like to add several of these kinds
> >>  > of test to the test suite.
> >>  >
> >>  > I would be interested to hear how the various implementations fare on
> >>  > this test (FaCT can pass it in about 10ms, not including parsing).
> >>  >
> >>  > The test is currently in DL but could easily be converted into Lite.
> >>  >

> >>  I will add this, and also see if my autoconvert DL=>Lite code still works.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >>  You suggested switching from DatatypeProperties to ObjectProperties or
> >>  vice-versa didn't you?
> >
> >Yes. The use of DatatypeProperties doesn't make tests qualitatively
> >any more difficult, but just means that you have to implement more
> >(i.e., minimal support for datatypes) in order to try them.
>
> but this is a good thing, right?  We want people to implement all
> aspects of our design...

If we taking this to its logical conclusion, then every test should
exercise all aspects of the design. In fact the intention of many/most
tests is to exercise some particular feature or combination of
features in isolation.

It is not a big deal though - in the context that datatype properties
are used in these tests, reasoners can simply treat them as object
properties without impacting soundness or completeness.

Ian