Re: comment on O

At 11:37 AM -0400 9/16/03, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
>Subject: comment on O
>Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:57:14 +0200
>
>>  http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-owl-semantics-20030818/mapping.html#4.1
>>
>>  The second rule seems to *require* that every ontology includes a triple
>>
>>  xxx rdf:type owl:Ontology .
>>
>>  where xxx is either the name of the ontology or a blank node.
>>
>>  This does not appear to be the intent elsewhere.
>
>Hmm.  Where elsewhere?
>
>>  The triple
>>  O rdf:type owl:Ontology .
>>
>>  could be included in the Annotation rules instead.
>
>Yes, this would fix a potential problem if the above is optional with
>annotations on anonymous ontologies.
>
>>  Jeremy
>
>I am actually in favour of making the type triple optional in this
>production.  I think that it would require a working group decision at this
>point, however.
>
>peter

I would be happy to see it made optional, my second choice would be
to document the heck out of this -- it is now becoming so easy to
accidently put things in OWL Full because of things like this (or
like putting a max and min cardinality in the same restriction) -- I
think the main "fix" is to make sure that where there are things like
this, and we see them happen multiple times, we try to add some words
to Guide and/or Ref -- this makes the changes purely editorial
without changing our design

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***