Fwd: FIPA endorsement

For those of you who didn't see this in our public comments list -
FIPA has endorsed OWL.  Thanks to John Dale and any other FIPA
members who helped raise this issue to the board's attention -- a
great model for the new outreach component of our work (and, in this
case, a necessary one since it removes our last charter dependency to
a non-W3C group)
  -JH

>Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:43:48 -0400
>To: public-webont-comments@w3.org
>From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
>Subject: FIPA endorsement

(some headers deleted)

>(Forwarded with permission of sender)
>
>Jim Hendler
>Chairman W3C OWL Working Group

>Dear Jim,
>
>FIPA, the Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents, is the premier
>standards body for developing and deploying agents for
>interoperability in heterogeneous environments. As such, it gives
>the FIPA Board of Directors great pleasure in officially giving its
>endorsement for the W3C's Web Ontology Language (1.0) and supports
>its move to Candidate Recommendation. FIPA recognises that
>ontologies and their formal description languages are criticial to
>the vision of the Semantic Web and also to enabling software agents
>to interpret their environment in a more meaningful ways.
>
>The Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents (FIPA) is an
>international consortium of industrial and university partners
>formed in 1996.  Its mission is the promotion of technologies and
>interoperability specifications that facilitate the end-to-end
>interworking of intelligent agent systems in modern commercial and
>industrial settings. More information about FIPA can be found at
>www.fipa.org.
>
>Michael S. Kerstetter
>President/Board of Directors
>The Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***