Re: Summary of Issues 5.6 and 5.14

Jeff Heflin wrote:

> c) Parse each ontology into its RDF graph, merge the graphs, and then
> apply the semantics to the merged graphs. I don't think I've heard
> anyone advocate this approach yet.
>
> d) Do inclusion at the RDF/XML syntax level. Methods for doing this have
> been proposed by Mike Smith [4] and Raphael Volz [5].

What is the essential difference between these approaches, except for the
mechanics? In both cases, you get a "merged" RDF graph to which the
semantics apply.

In (d) you either have to use existing RDF/XML parsers and their already
existing mechanisms for inclusion, or write a non-standard parser that has a
non-standard mechanism for inclusion -- I really don't think we need to get
into the business of writing OWL parsers do we?

In (c) we simply use the current RDF/XML parsers and then in a post-parse
transformation step, merge the parsed graphs into a single graph. That seems
pretty straightforward to me. ***

In either case, the semantics doesn't need to give a hoot of consideration
to where the triples came from.

Jonathan

*** this might count as the first advocation for this approach