Re: LANG: owl:ontology

Christopher Welty wrote:
> ... If someone wants to import just one symbol from my ontology, then they
> have to get all of my ontology so that they get all the constraints and
> inter-relationships that help clarify the meaning of that symbol wrt
> others.   I *don't care* if that's what the user intended - that's what I,
> the designer of the ontology, intended: dont misuse my symbols!
> If this isn't enforced, then borrowing symbols from other ontologies is
> meaningless and serves no purpose.  ...

As a practical matter, we are not going to be able to
enforce much of anything. We are also not able to require
that agents do complete reasoning or even sound reasoning.
We can describe what agents should do if they are using
the language as it was designed to be used.  If people
find it convenient and useful to do otherwise, they will.

Tim

ps: I guess it might be possible to put a ban on deep
linking into ontologies into the next DMCA-like law,
but this is more than I want to even joke about.