Re: LANG: syntactic version for imports (and other things)

From: Jeff Heflin <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>
Subject: Re: LANG: syntactic version for imports (and other things)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:06:27 -0400

> I'm not wild about this idea. Multiple imports are going to be common
> and simply having a space delimited list is an ugly solution. Especially
> since guidelines for designing XML DTDs and Schemas usually suggest that
> you only use attributes for things that have single values. If we are
> going to have non-RDF syntactic extensions (which is what this is), we
> may as well do good design and have a separate XML element for each
> ontology that is imported.

I'm not wild about it either.  The problem is that we are fighting both XML
and RDF here.  There are good syntactic solutions, but they are ruled out
by either XML or RDF.

> Also, I expected to see some account of the meaning of this construct.
> You didn't like my entailment-based version, what would you suggest
> instead?

The meaning is the obvious one.  The contents of the imported ontology
are considered to be part of the meaning of this ontology.