Re: ISSUE 5.14 - Ontology versioning

At 8:39 AM -0400 9/10/02, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
>Subject: Re: ISSUE 5.14 - Ontology versioning
>Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 07:42:11 -0400
>
>[...]
>
>>  [M]y recollection is that we had discussed this (and some other
>>  ontology features) as being "extra-logical" at the first f2f.
>>
>>  This is reflected in the issue description [1]
>>
>>  >4.4 Extra-logical feature set
>
>[...]
>
>Last time I checked 4.4 and 5.14 were different issues.  I don't see any
>linking in the issues list either.  Has something happened that I wasn't
>aware of?

they do not need to be linked -- however, at the first f2f, there was
discussion of daml:imports (issue 5.6) being extralogical and also of
the versioning possibly being so.  Thus, in answer to your question
about the semantics of owl:ontology, I was simply pointing out my
remembrance.

******* chair hat off **********

It is my personal opinion that treating 5.6 and 5.14 as extralogical
would address our requirements and be sufficiently described so as
not to require treatment within the semantic documents.   I am happy
with owl:ontology being something defined within the semantics, as
long as we can insert the extralogical tags (4.4) into the definition
in a way that is comfortable to that semantics.  I feel it is more
important to be able to put the various metadata, versioning, and
descriptive features into the ontology header than it is to have
owl:ontology be an overly constraining definition.  I also worry that
being constraining in our definition of the "boundaries" of an
ontology, we would hurt our various use cases, objectives and
requirements that involve ontology sharing, mapping,
interoperability, etc.

********** chair hat back on *********