Re: TEST process and test document

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Subject: TEST process and test document
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:01:02 +0200

> I have drafted a document describing a test process.
> It also includes the tests that have Manifest file entries.
> (i.e. all the approved ones, and some of the proposed ones).
>

> I would like to know whether people thought this is going in the right
> direction before I do more work on it.
> I think the process sections are ready for discussion.

I think that this is definitely going in the right direction.  I have some
concerns over it, but nothing major.

> The major change proposed is that we view a document as our primary test
> deliverable.
> This then clarifies what accepting a test means: the test moves from the
> proposed section into the main section of the document. In the main section
> it is under the editorial control of the test document editor.

I'm ambivalent about having proposed tests in the document itself.  On one
hand, it is rather convenient to have them collected in one place.  On the
other hand, it does make for a long document, and more work for whoever is
maintaining the document.

> Such a document will end up as very long ...

This is one reason to be rather cautious in accepting tests.